Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy Romanian is a public university-level medical school located in Iaşi, Romania. Romania has a long standing tradition in the medical field. The Romanian health care system has been in existence since 1700. George Emil Palade, the Nobel Prize winner of 1974 in Physiology or Medicine, was born in Iași, while Nicolae Paulescu, the discoverer of insulin, was born in Bucharest.
Notable is, that during the 1828 plague in Bucharest, 21 out of the 26 doctors, lost their lives while administering treatment for the disease.
One of the oldest educational places in Romania, Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy was founded in 1879 as a Faculty of Medicine, later being associated with other two institutions which complete the medical instruction area – the Faculty of Pharmacy and the Faculty of Dentistry.
- Founded on 30 September 1879
- Inaugral lecture was Anatomy, held on Decemeber 1, 1879 by Dr Leon Scully
- The first “Doctor in Medicine and Surgery” qualified in 1887
- The Faculty of Medicine includes Dentistry and Pharmacy
- Well equiped laboratories meeting international standards
- 7 Student dormitories (Romanian students get preference)
- Amphitheatres fitted with new furniture and acoustics systems in November
“Gr. T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy Iasi is a student- centered university that provides opportunities for lifelong learning to a diverse range of students within a culture of scholarship and development of knowledge.
“Gr. T. Popa” University of medicine and Pharmacy Iasi is recognized as a leading modern regional university, with an international reputation committed to serving the needs of its students and its regional communities.
Presently it trains 500 students in each year of study meaning 3000 students among which approximately 580 are foreign students. The teaching staff comprises 600 highly trained faculty members, in 72 preclinical and clinical disciplines.
The faculty trains almost 1000 resident physicians in all specialties, 800 doctoral students in 36 specialties and offers methodological guidance and information updates to specialist doctors from all countries in the Moldavia region.
Available Medical Education Programs at G.T. Popa Iasi
Undergraduate programs available:
- The Medical Faculty (English and Romanian)
- This is a 6 year Bachelor of Medicine program available in English and Romanian.
- The Faculty of Dental Medicine (Romanian only)
- This a 6 year program available only in Romanian at present.
- The Faculty of Pharmacy (Romanian only)
- The Faculty of Medical Bioengineering (Romanian only)
- Refresher Courses
- Master’s Degree
- Doctoral Degree
Congressis is a medical students and young doctors conference (organised in April), focusing on Fundamental Sciences, Surgery, Internal Medicine and Bioethics. It is one of the most popular congresses in Romania, as it has one of the largest participations of all the medical students conferences organized throughout the country. The official language of the Congress, is English.
- St. Spiridon Hospital
- St. Maria Clinic Children’s Hospital
- Regional Oncology Institute
- Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases
- Socola Psychiatric University Hospital
- Parhon Hospital
- CFR Hospital
- Neurosurgery Hospital
Student hostel is the cheapest and is around 50 euro/month for rent all bills inclusive. We strongly advice this option to international students who want to live on a very low budget.
In generally, apartments in Romania come fully furnished, with TV, gas stove, fridge, beds and couches. Some more upscale ones come with washing machine and microwaves etc. Cable TV with 24/7 Internet access is available for 20$ a month or even less. Apartments cost between €100EUR – 300EUR/month.
Apartments have central heating with central hot water. Lights and water average between €30EURO-50EURO a month. We advice to international students to rent one apartment by two at beginning. So it become cheaper for them and they help each other till they get used to the new environment.
For students opting for private apartment, we suggest them to contact us so we can reserve apartments for them. In fact, we are working hand in hand with companies renting private student hostels.
Medicine program – €4500/Year